São Martinho de Tibães Monsatery
Founded at the end of the 11th century, the São Martinho de Tibães Benedictine Monastery was granted a Charter in 1110 by Count D. Henrique and Count D. Teresa, the parents of D. Afonso Henriques, who would become the first king of Portugal.
Silence, obedience, poverty, prayer and work were part of the Benedictine Order followed by the monks. The Monastery grew in privileges and power until the 14th century and was chosen after the Council of Trent, in 1567, to be the house of Congregation of São Bento dos Reinos de Portugal.
It reached its maximum splendour in the 17th and 18th centuries, when it was transformed into one of the largest monastic collections of Portuguese Baroque.
The São Martinho de Tibães Monastery, consisting of the church, convent wings and the outer space enclosed by the cloistered enclosure, closed in 1834, the date that marked the extinction of Religious Orders in Portugal. With practically all the property and the building sold in public auction, in 1986 the Portuguese State began its study and restoration.
Today it is possible to see and feel the spaces and their history, in a “Monument-Museum" and in a Historical Garden that extends over some 40 hectares, right up to the fence. In this space, the Benedictine monks sought subsistence, but also a place for meditation, leisure and experimentation.
Come discover and enjoy this incredible space. We look forward to your visit!
S. Salvador de Vilar de Frades Convent
Located in Barcelos, Braga, the Vilar de Frades Convent was founded in the 6th century by the bishop São Martinho de Dume. Its total ruin, following the Moorish invasions, led to its reconstruction five hundred years later, remaining Benedictine until 1425.
From the 16th century onwards, the Convent underwent various expansion and remodelling works that substantially changed the appearance of the old Romanesque monastery and all the convent fencing, with the construction of a second tower, the dormitories, refectory, kitchen, library and cloister. The high choir or the church organ, from the same period also deserve mention.
An excellent example of conventual architecture, the Convent of Vilar de Frades underwent a thorough restoration process in the 21st century, under the responsibility of the Regional Directorate of Northern Culture.
Besides the building and its exquisite church, the tile panels and the paintings in the sacristy by the painter Pedro Alexandrino also deserve mention.
Don’t miss it. See you soon!